Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity-Jig

Well, I just got home from work. WOO HOO! My favorite part about that sentence isn't the term "just got home" or the idea of being home, no my friends, it's actually that I'm able to use the word "work" and have it apply to me as part of the American workforce! It's been nearly 5 months since I moved and have been looking for a job, and today, for the first time since May 2nd, I clocked in and clocked out, and I am earning money again.

I'm sure in a few months or a few weeks, or even a few days, I'll look back and say, "man, I miss those 5 months when I wasn't working." But I'm going to let everyone in on a little secret ... are you ready? Being income-less is really stressful and I am glad that I have a job again! In fact, I feel lucky. I feel lucky that I am healthy enough to work, and strong enough to work, and smart enough to work, and in a country where I can work! It's a liberating feeling to know you are self-sufficient, you're in charge of yourself, and you're independent.

So let's all give a big "woo hoo" for our jobs and our ability to work, so we're able to earn money to provide for ourselves and our families.

WOO HOO!!!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I totally hear ya. I have now been unemployed for going on six months, and it's weird. Don't get me wrong, I'm not loafing around or anything, I'm going to school full time, and keeping almost TOO busy, but it's really odd to not have a job. It's the longest break of employment I've had since I was 13.

Anonymous said...

Agreed - whenever I was at work and people complained about having to work, I just thought, I'm lucky to have a job! And I always tried to feel grateful, even though I do love loafing around a bit. Now I can work for IHC from London, so I know there's some money coming in. It's a good thing.