Thursday, July 31, 2008

Oh My Possum ... Just Deal With It!

A couple days ago there was a huge rainstorm. It lasted all day long, with heavy rain showers, thunder, and lightning. Jason and I were getting ready to go grocery shopping, and we were walking down the stairs at the apartment complex when we thought we saw a cat. But it seemed little too small to be a cat, and we noticed it had a long, pinkish, hairless tail. It looked like a big white rat! Then Jason told me it was a possum!

I've never seen a possum before, so it was pretty exciting. I tried to take a video of it on my cell phone, but it was too dark. I didn't want to startle it, since I wasn't sure how it would react to me. I wasn't really feeling up for a trip to the emergency room by falling victim to a rabid possum. Maybe next time. Here's a very fuzzy picture of the hairy little beast. It's hard to see, but you get the general idea.




I received my first rejection for a few of my photographs, but that doesn't mean I'm giving up. In fact, I actually received some informative feedback, so I'll take what they told me to improve, change my technique, do a little studying, get in some practice, and try again.

Jason is concerned because there may be a union strike at the plant where he works. He is salaried, so he won't be on strike, but it will mean there will be a lot of employees who won't be there. The company also informed them today that they will be requiring the employees who ARE working to make up for those on strike, so he would be working 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week. Yes, that's right, he'd be working 72 hours a week! The union votes this Saturday, so this could be his last full weekend off for a while. But I told him, no use worrying about something you can't change, and that you don't have any control over, just deal with whatever happens, when it happens. Life will go on and eventually everything will be fine.

I think that's one of the greatest things about people, that we're able to adapt to our changing situations and circumstances. It may not be easy at first, but in the long run, it all turns out. Nothing bothers me more than those people who constantly complain about things, or worry about things they can't change! We all have bad days, and we all have bad things happen to us. We don't need to listen to you complaining about how horrible your life is, or how everyone hates you, etc. It just brings everyone around you down, and no one wants to spend time with you. Now don't get me wrong, I think we should all be allowed to complain every once in a while, but not on a daily basis. So to those who worry too much, or those who are always complaining, I say ... c'mon, suck it up, just deal with it! Or as my super-cool bro-in-law Jeremy would say, that's your hamburger. ;)

No comments: