Monday, June 30, 2008

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness ... #1

In honor of Independence Day, which is coming up at the end of the week, I'm going to dedicate all of this weeks posts to learning more about the country, and celebrating our independence.

Bet you didn't know, back in 1776, they thought July 2nd would be the most celebrated day in the history of America. Or that Independence Day has only been officially recognized as a holiday for 60 years. Or that fireworks have been used to celebrate the Declaration of Independence since it's original signing in 1776. Here is a little history clip about Independence Day from the History Channel. It's only a few minutes long, and there are some fun facts to be learned.

History of Independence Day

As much as I love to travel, and experience other places in the world, I'm very glad that I live in America. All of us are so lucky to have the freedoms, some that we take for granted, that other countries don't have. We are safe and we are happy and we are wealthy as a country. When I think about the day to day conditions people of other nations are born into, and live in, it makes me realize how lucky I am to be living in America, where I am free to work wherever I want to, I am able to think for myself, I am able to vote, I have clean water and food to eat, I have a home to live in that keeps me protected, I have a whole closet full of clothes ... I am a very fortunate person! I love my country, and I hope you do too!

I hope that as this Independence Day approaches, all of us will think about how wonderful it is to live here and we will celebrate the freedoms and blessings we all enjoy on a daily basis.

Now, go eat a hamburger and light off some fireworks.

No comments: