Saturday, March 13, 2010

I Miss My Dentist

I've been to the dentist a total of ONE time since I moved to Kansas. Not that I don't care about my pearly whites, but I didn't have insurance or money to go before I got married. Now that I'm now "suitable" to be insured (please take note of the passive aggressive tone in my voice), I set up a visit with the dentist. I have to say, I'm very unimpressed and I miss my dentist in Utah.

Before I left Utah, I had a check-up and was told by my dentist that I had a couple cavities. We didn't take care of them at the time because I was too busy packing up my life and getting ready to move, and then after I quit my job, I was uninsured. I just lost time.

When I went to my new dentist in Kansas, I was expecting to hear from him that my cavities were still there -- they don't just disappear, do they kids? In fact, I can FEEL them when I eat certain foods. So imagine my surprise when he told me I was cavity free. After he told me that, I let him know my dentist had found more than one cavity a year and a half earlier, and I know I have them because of the sensitivity I'm feeling in my teeth. He didn't pay much attention to what I had said, he still gave my mouth a clean bill of health. He even went so far as to try to make my dentist back in Utah out to be the bad guy. He tried to tell me that my family dentist, the one I've had my whole life, had simply made-up my cavities just to make more money.

Now I don't know what to do. My teeth still hurt, and I've used up one of the semi-annual visits covered by my insurance company. Sensodine can't gloss over the pain of a cavity. I'm about ready to call up BCBS of KS and let them know the preferred provider they set me up with isn't worth crap and I should be able to go to a competent dentist without having to make a second co-pay. But I dealt with insurance every day for seven years. They aren't going to go for that. I'll have to foot the bill. So what do I have to do? I have to suck it up and wait 6 months so I can go to a different BCBS of KS preferred dentist, and hope he finds my cavities so I can eat pain free.

Isn't insurance great?

No comments: